MLA format for essays is most often used for papers in liberal arts and humanities. The full number of MLA requirements is presented in MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers and the MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing.
Here, however, we decided to provide you with a general idea of what this style requires. So, if you wonder how to write an essay in MLA format, follow these rules:
- MLA format essays are printed on a standard, white 8.5 x 11-inch paper.
- Set 1 inch margins on all sides.
- Use double spaces and a legible 12 pt. font. Times New Roman is recommended. However, you can use another one, provided that nor’regular’mal and italic styles are easily distinguished.
- An essay in MLA format should have 0.5 inch indentations of the first line in the paragraph.
- Put the page number and your last name in the upper corner in the header.
- If you download an MLA essay format example, you will see that most of them do not have separate title pages. Include one, only if you are required to. Specify your and your instructor’s name, the course and the date in the left corner of the first page.
- The title should be double-spaced from the text. Do not underline or italicize it. Also, do not place it in quotation marks.
- The reference page should list the works in alphabetical order by the last names of the authors.
For more detailed information about essay MLA format, refer to the abovementioned Handbook and Manual.
When should one use an MLA format for essays?
As it has already been said, MLA format for essay is usually used within humanities and liberal arts. However, you should always clarify the requirements before you start writing. For instance, even if the general requirement is essay format MLA, you might be asked to omit the page number or your last name on the first page. Other requirements are individually adjustable as well. Make sure you know all the rules of the game before you start writing.
Get an MLA format essay outline or any other chapter
Apart from consulting the Handbook and the Manual, there is another way to ensure adherence to the format requirements. You can download an MLA format essay example and then use it for referencing. Unlike in the case with guides, you will be actually able to see how the formatting should be arranged.
An MLA format example essay can be ordered here. Also, you can get separate chapters, such as MLA format essay outline, introduction, main body or conclusions. Whatever you need – you can find it here.
Therefore, the advantages of getting an example of MLA format essay are obvious:
- Visible representation of style requirements
- A model to follow while writing your own paper
- An easy way to check whether every requirement is met in your essay
Also, it is a way to learn. While reading guides and manuals is fine, it is much more useful to see and try. It is wise to memorize the requirements of each style, as you will be using each of them when writing different assignments, and knowing them by heart will save time. Instead of going through manuals, take a good look at a sample essay: it will carve into your memory sooner or later. Maybe it will take a few samples, but definitely less time than reading an entire manual.